Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Parents' Prayer

Its been so hard these days to find help for me with my little one. I need a break, and for some reason, a break hasn't been granted, as I just simply cannot find help in this small town. Soon enough, I suppose.

In the meantime, my mother-in-law sent me this really beautiful prayer last week that I've just now had a chance to sit and read over. Its one of the best prayers I've ever read and it hits my nail on the head today:

Most Loving Father, the example of parenthood,
You have entrusted our children to us to bring them up for you
And prepare them for everlasting life.
Assist us with your grace,
That we may fulfill this sacred duty with competence and love.
Teach us what to give and what to withhold.
Show us when to reprove, when to praise, and when to be silent.
Make us gentle and considerate
Yet firm and watchful.
Keep us from the weakness of indulgence and the excess of severity.
Give us the courage to be disliked sometimes by our children
When we must do necessary things which are displeasing in their eyes.
Give us the imagination to enter their world in order to understand and to guide them.
Grant us all the virtues we need to lead them by word and example,
In the ways of wisdom and piety.
One day, with them, may we enter into the joys
Of our true and lasting home with you in heaven.
Amen.


2 comments:

{Emily} Hey Sisters! Photography said...

Amazing prayer! Hang in there dear friend! I will pray that a 'helpful hand' comes into your life, so you can get that much deserved break! Be strong and stand strong! God Bless! ~Emily

Anonymous said...

I hear you. You do need a break.(on a regular basis)..Father, your word says you gently lead those with young. I pray for this young mother and my daughter Angie who is in a similar place...provide some additional help ASAP....I know you can and I know you care. AMEN